FAST Truck Insurance
  • You are here:
  • Home »
  • Archive: February, 2019

Archive Monthly Archives: February 2019

Trucker glossary jargon

Truck Jargon

The world of trucking and truck insurance  comes with its fair share of jargon. Below we have complied the key terms along with a short description.

  • Gross Vehicle Weight: The weight of a vehicle and its load.
  • Train Weight: The weight of a vehicle, a trailer and its load. PLATED WEIGHT.
  • Plated Weight:Either the design weight limit given on a manufacturer’s plate or the legal weight limit given on the Department’s plate
  • Draw Bar Trailer available for carriage and reward
  • Semi-Trailer: A trailer forming part of an articulated vehicle.
  • Articulated Truck A tractor unit with a semi-trailer attached where part of the load is borne by the drawing vehicle.

Articulated Lorries (Artics) are the main vehicle category to transport goods by road. This combines a tractor unit with a trailer using a  turn-table device.  Artics have different types of trailers some of the most common are listed below:

  • Flatbed trailer - Most versatile and can be used for almost any kind of cargo one disadvantage is that the  goods need to be protected from the elements and theft.​​​​
  • Tilt trailer -  Similar to the flat bed trailer, but with a removable canopy.
  • Curtain side - Most common vehicle for road haulage and comes with a rigid roof and rear doors. The sides are PVC curtains that can be drawn back for easy loading and unloading.
  • Box trailer - Boxed rigid unit, with loading through back doors. A must for long haulage or for valuable goods.
  • Road train - a rigid vehicle at the front, which pulls a trailer behind it.
  • Low-loaders - Can be  used for transporting heavy machinery and other outsize goods. Set low to the ground for easy loading.
  • Draw Bar Trailer available for carriage and reward
  • Swap-body system -Not common and have been designed to accommodate standard cargo containers. 
Green Card and Truck Drivers - Brexit

Green Cards will be required for truck drivers if Brexit goes through

Will Green Cards will be required for truck drivers if Brexit goes through?

Truck and lorry drivers who cross the border in and out of the UK to the EU will have to be ready for a change if the Brexit goes through. The biggest change will be in the documentation that will be required including Green Cards.

What will be required to get a Green Card for travel to the EU?

To travel into the European Union after a hard Brexit occurs will require a Green Card for UK citizens. This includes all the truck drivers that regularly transport goods across the border. To get a Green Card requires a valid passport that has at least 2 full blank pages and an additional valid UK issued ID like a drivers license along with proof of insurance coverage that covers travel in the EU.

The biggest issue will be the proof of truck insurance coverage while on the roads in the EU for the truck and lorry drivers. This has to be proven before a Green Card will be issued. There is one alternative to having your UK insurance protecting you on the roads in the EU. You can purchases a policy from an EU insurance company for coverage while in the EU. The minimum amount of coverage required by EU law is third party insurance.

What is the cost of a Green Card?

It has already been stated by the Department for Transportation that the issuing of green cards will be free, but there is a catch and it is not from a government.  There has been some talk that insurance companies will charge a processing fee or other administration fee for all coverage that will include travel to the EU from the UK.

When does this Green Card Policy go into effect?

If no deal is made on Brexit by March 29, 2019, the Brexit will be classified as a hard split and Green Cards will be required to pass into the UK for EU citizens. The reverse will be true for UK citizens to pass into the EU they will be required to have a Green Card.

How long does the processing of a Green Card take?

It has been suggested that travelers apply for a Green Card should do so at least 30 days before they travel to the EU from the UK. For truck and lorry drivers to pass the border on and after March 29th they must possess a Green Card if no Brexit plan is decided on by the governments involved. That is now less than 60 days away.

It is always best to be prepared. In the case of UK drivers now is the time to consult with your insurance agent to see how a hard Brexit will affect your insurance coverage. As of this date no change is anticipated for EU driving rules.  If you still have questions our knowledgeable independent insurance brokers are available to assist you.